MP for Ikaroa-Rawhiti
- Spokesperson for Local Government
- Associate Primary Industries Spokesperson
- Associate Food Safety Spokesperson
Meka Whaitiri is the proud mother of two teenage sons. Meka was born in Manutuke, Gisborne and grew up in Whakatu, Hastings. Meka was Head Girl at Karamu High School and played both netball and softball at a national level. She started work at the local freezing works and went on to complete a Masters degree in Education from Victoria University.
Meka has a strong Māori governance background and sound knowledge of how Government and Parliament works. She was promoted to senior manager with the Community Employment Group of the Department of Labour, and has also been a senior adviser to the Minister of Māori Affairs. Meka spent four years as the Chief Executive of Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated.
Previous Spokesperson Roles:
- Spokesperson, Water
- Associate Spokesperson, Regional Development
- Associate Spokesperson, Finance
- Associate Spokesperson, Primary Industries
- Director of Kahungunu Asset Holding Company
- Deputy Chair of Waka Ama National Board
- Member of the Hawkes Bay Netball Board
- Mandated negotiator for Rongowhakaata
- Chair of Te Kura Māori o Porirua and Horouta Kohanga Reo.